Slow week for work up here. Constant rain has swelled the rivers running through the area to the point that everyone is working on diking and sandbagging to save the city. I was able to help work on preserving a dike around a coworker's house just outside of Minot. There were fifty mph wind gusts yesterday which were starting to eat away at the dike, so a group of us tied sandbags to sections of polyethylene sheeting and tossed them down the dike to slow the erosion a little bit. Six of us did about one hundred feet in a few hours. We had a good process down, but fighting the wet dike and the wind made it a real struggle. I'm glad I got to do a small part to help in the area. It was great getting to know some of my coworkers up here who I usually don't have much time to talk to.
shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="400" height="267" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fjoshschr%2Falbumid%2F5613248517169296801%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26authkey%3DGv1sRgCMTSpt2i1vGhYQ%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
PS, in the background under all that water is the highway I usually take home. My other main options go through Bismarck (flooding) or Devil's Lake (flooding). It could be a long wet trip home this week to see Sarah's play and Levi and Stephanie's new baby!
If the slideshow doesn't work, this link should.
No comments:
Post a Comment