Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Follow-Up

Good stories require lots of words:

Erin had a Girl Scout leaders meeting in West Fargo last Saturday, and we were running low on just about everything, so we made a full resupply trek to the F-M area out of it. Sarah tried to convince me to take home a 52" plasma tv at Sam's Club (she made some convincing arguments, basically "Ooooh! Pretty!"), the girls and I spent an hour at Dinoland in the mall, and we went to Target so Sarah could spend some Christmas money on Madagascar 2 and do some other shopping.

Sarah is going through a growth spurt, so she and Erin went off to upgrade her unmentionables while Grace and I took a detour through a larger section of the Girl's department. I passed a rack of girl's summer dresses, as I do in every store I get taken to on days like this. Of course, any dress that you put a 6-year-old girl in is going to be cute as baby bunnies frolicking with puppies in the sun on a warm spring morning, so I usually just keep on moving. This time, however, I got about 5 racks away before I had to turn back and find one in Sarah's size. This picture was taken with my camera phone, so understand any charm comes strictly from luck and Sarah, but I think there's a lot of charm there.



Erin thinks it's funny that I bought a dress for Sarah, funny in the way you start worrying about mental illness. I think it's scary someone designed a dress so cute I couldn't resist buying it!

I am greatly proud of my two daughters. They both make me happy in ways I always expected to be happy as a parent. Unfortunately, that day I could not find a dress that I imagined on Grace would look as good as the dress I bought for Sarah. But we bought a dress for Grace anyway, just to keep things even, which is a natural reaction, I guess. I took a picture of Grace in her dress, but accidentally didn't save it and didn't take another. Not that she didn't look cute, because she is always cute, but she was only bunnies & puppies cute. Then, later in the day, she was outfitted for play in our Arctic basement, and she, with the help of Erin, layered a few of her favorite clothes into an ensemble that was perfect for her:



In other news, there are many ways the girls make it obvious they are individuals personality-wise, being 4 years apart, they're obviously different physically too; Grace's hair isn't anywhere near what Sarah had at 2, but she could easily be taller than Sarah is when she turns 6. However Grace is beginning to slim down like Sarah and I only realized the other day how much they are starting to look alike in the face. I had planned on taking a picture for everyone to judge for themselves, but like everything else, their moods don't quite match up for picture time. This is the best I have so far, but expect the image to be updated when I can get them to hold still together:

No comments: